Doctor of Physical Therapy
Board Certified Clinical Specialist
Dr. Eric Honbo has been practicing orthopedic physical therapy and sports medicine since 1997. As a previous Chicago and New York City Marathon finisher, Eric understands the patients’ desires to compete, set goals & achieve them. He has worked with patients of all ages and abilities who have experienced orthopedic and neurological injuries – including many MLB, NFL, NBA, NCAA and Olympic athletes, as well as numerous professional musicians.
Eric serves as a consultant to the Chinese Olympic Committee, provides direct treatment interventions to Olympic athletes, and gives clinical lectures to the National Team medical training staff. In 2015, he served as a Team Physical Therapist for the Chinese National Track & Field Team. He worked mainly with the triple jumpers, who later compiled an impressive Bronze Medal, 4th, & 5th place finish at the 2015 World Track & Field Championships. He is also an Adjunct Clinical Instructor in the USC Biokinesiology & Orthopedic PT Residency and Spine Rehabilitation Fellowship program in Beijing, China. Eric has learned that successful functional outcomes require a combination of skilled PT intervention, communication among the patient, therapist & physician, and consistent patient compliance with his/her home exercise program.
- Doctoral Degree Massachusetts General Hospital IHP (Harvard Clinical and Teaching Affiliate) – Boston, MA
- Master of Physical Therapy Degree – Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, CA
- Bachelor of Arts – University of California at Irvine
- Board Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialist – APTA
- Dry Needling- American Academy of Manipulative Therapy
- Certified Pitching Coach – National Pitching Association
- American Physical Therapy Association
- The International Federation of Sports Physical Therapy
- American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
- California Private Practice Special Interest Group
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections and Selective Rehabilitation Protocols – co-author (textbook chapter)
- “Vertebral Artery Compromise by C2 Bony Tumor – A Case Report” (under review in the Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy)
- “Biokinesiology and Management of Cartilage, Meniscal, & Ligamentous Disorders Modules”– People’s Hospital Fujian- Fuzhou, China (8 Day Course content co-developer, co-lecturer) 2019
- “Orthopedic & Sports Rehabilitation Science: Shoulder, Elbow, Wrist & Hand UQ”; University of Southern California Division of Biokinesiology & Physical Therapy- Jiangsu Research Institute of Sports Science, Olympic Training Centre- Nanjing, China (3 Day Course) 2018
- “Shoulder, Elbow, Sacroiliac Joint, & Hip- Musculoskeletal Evaluation & Treatment“– Chinese Olympic Committee & Medical Staff- National Training Center Beijing, China (2015-current)
- “Recognition & Management of Overhead Throwing Injuries- A Structured Season”– co-lecturer with Los Angeles Dodgers/Rams Team Physicians & Mike Scioscia (Manager Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)-2018
- “Heel Pain Clinical Guidelines”– Chinese Olympic Committee: International Performance Training Summit- Beijing, China (2017)
- “Clinical Rehabilitation of Ankle & Foot & APTA Guidelines”– Physical Therapy International 4 Day Course Series- Xian Nong Tan Stadium – Beijing, China (2017)
- “Physical Therapy Profession in America” & “Shoulder Girdle- Orthopedic Assessment & Treatment“– Beijing Sport University- Beijing, China (2017)
- “Sacroiliac Joint Pathomechanics, Assessment & Treatment & Shoulder Girdle Examination & Intervention“– Cal State University Northridge (2007-2011)
Interests and Accomplishments
Eric has had the unique opportunity to train with some of the PT pioneers including Evjenth, Paris, Butler, Meadows, Hoke, Pettman, Davies, Godges, Dunning, Jackson, & NAIOMT (I-III).
He has developed a special interest in working with overhead throwing shoulder & elbow injuries. He provides expert peer & utilization review for the Mass. & Calif. state insurances and has assisted with on-site care for the NBA Summer League as well as off-Broadway productions such as “Book Of Mormon” and “Beautiful – The Carole King Musical”.
Eric enjoys playing in weekly basketball games, spending time with his family, and learning to play the drums. He and his wife have two daughters and live in Newbury Park, CA.
Eric’s Favorite Quote
“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming.” — John Wooden
Five Things Eric Believes
- It’s not exercise unless you sweat
- The only putt or pitch that matters is the next one
- The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team
- A great physical therapist may not have all the answers, but knows where to find them
- The Conejo Valley is the best place to raise a family and practice physical therapy
Learn more about Eric’s partner Dr. Cody Jones.